Sunday, August 5, 2012

Love and Other Disasters







An American intern at U.K. Vogue helps her friends find love.

"Love and Other Disasters" (2006) is a romantic comedy written and directed by Alek Keshishian (who also directed one of my favorites from the 90's, "With Honors") and starring Brittany Murphy (1977-2009, may she rest in peace). Yes, I watched yet another unknown Brittany Murphy movie. (this one is way better than "The Ramen Girl". HBO must have gone on a Brittany Murphy films shopping spree) I must admit that I always really liked her, ever since she was the "chubby" (compared to very skinny Alicia Silverstone) in "Clueless." I always thought she was cute and charismatic, definitely the perfect actress for lead roles in cute romantic comedies. "LOD" is set in London, where Emily Jackson, nicknamed "Jacks" (played by Murphy) is a very stylish, educated, and wordy intern at UK Vogue.  (you can imagine the fashion is amazing in this movie, all the wardrobe changes for Murphy are uber-stylish) The plot of this movie is forgettable, but what I did find memorable were the conversations on love. (although I would be happy to not hear Murphy's at times forced british accent) The movie is really one big conversation on love between Jacks and her gay roommate, Peter Simon (played by the adorable Mathew Rhys). Peter is a screenwriter who lives his love life like if it were a movie and keeps trying to get Jacks to do the same, while Jacks keeps trying to ground Peter. To make him live his life outside his screenwriting and with a more realistic point of view. 

When Jacks is asked by Peter about why she keeps having sex with her ex, she responds: "I happen to care about James. A lot. And I hate the fact that he feels more than me, and I hate the fact that I'm not IN love with him because I know I should be, because he's smart and sweet and decent and I don't wanna hurt him. So I keep hoping that I'll grow into it. That maybe one day I'll wake up and I'll feel..." And that is one of the eternal truths on love, that the ideal person isn't necessarily the person you actually fall in love with. 

The one big conversation on love is quite charming. The dialogue in this movie is key and I really did enjoy it. It is a very wordy movie. You feel that you are hearing Murphy the whole entire movie, even when they aren't speaking. Some of the dialogue I loved:

Jacks: If this was a movie, you'd be famous.
Peter: That's the problem with life. It's nothing like movies.

Jacks: "Love isn't always a lightning bolt, you know? Maybe sometimes it's just a choice. Maybe true love is a decision"

I think I agree that love is a choice, but at the same time, you can't force love. You have to be ready for it but  one cannot love someone just because you want to, just because that person is the ideal person, one must feel it. Love isn't something you can force on yourself, but something that must grow from within. However, to fall in love you must allow it, and hence it is a decision.

Like I mentioned, this movie isn't groundbreaking or anything like that, but the conversations between the characters provide great food for though on love.

Love and Other Disasters IMDB


No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself...
Exprésate...