Sunday, August 12, 2012

Woody Allen: A Documentary

Two new friends in my life suggested I watch "Woody Allen: A Documentary," after I commented to them how much I love the work of the writer/director and how little of his work I have seen. After watching the 3-hour documentary (It hast two parts, both of which you can watch on Netflix.), I am fascinated with Woody Allen. To the point where I have decided that I want to watch all of his 40 movies in chronological order (or as close to chronological order as possible). This is something I have done with writers, but have never done with film. It started in high school with Gabriel García Marquez. What I do is a look up a list of all their works and start reading them one by one, in chronological order if possible. I say, if possible, because sometimes I wouldn't be able to find certain works. After "El Gabo,"I went on to do it with such writers as Ernest Hemingway, Enrique Laguerre (local puertorican writer), René Marquez (also puertorican), Jorge Luis Borges, Unamuno, Gabriel García Lorca(this last one was the toughest as he had a lot of minor works that you can't find almost anywhere), and many more... but you catch the drift.  The decision to watch all of Woody's movies comes after the realization that most of his common themes are ones that I constantly think and obsess about: he doesn't care what people think of him (perception), he constantly thinks about death and immortality(death), he can compartmentalize his life (the human condition), he has an opinion on everything, and has a lot to say (somebody told me this about myself recently and I didn't want to believe it, but I guess it's true I do have a lot to say), among many more. I thought of course this task of watching all of Woody's movies would be easy because I have Netflix, but somehow life manages to throw me a curveball and lo' and behold Netflix only has five of his movies!!! Five!!! Out of forty!!!! Of course I find this ridiculous and will complaint to Netflix stat. They don't even have the most recent ones, not the very very recent, but ones like "Match Point" or "Aphrodite" or "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger." So, I think I will start with the five (five!!!) on Netflix and then go to Blockbuster or something. Expect a lot of Woody Allen coming your way for the next few months. Nothing excites me more than a cool short-term goal, and this will be a lot of fun! I'm very excited!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself...
Exprésate...